Monday 16 May 2011

Espresso Chocolate Chip Cupcakes





Coffee and I have a deep and long comradeship. It was one of my favorite Beverages during university days. I could never start my day without having a hot cup of steaming coffee and would have it frequently during exam days when my head would be steaming with pressure! As with coffee is my love for coffee flavored cakes. They are way different from coffee, but I love the hint of coffee flavor that the cake has. I have baked a coffee cake couple of years back, which turned out pretty well, but uses loads of butter and I was unaware of calories and like. I never made that ever since. At times I wish I was still unaware of calories and fat building factors, so that I can use butter free of guilt.


This recipe of Espresso Chocolate Chip Cupcakes comes from one my favorite bloggers- Deeba who blogs at Passionate about baking. I have always admired at her energy and passion when it comes to baking and Blogging. I truly admire her. I love her recipes, her write ups, her photography and herself and I never miss her recipes ever since I discovered her blog. I too have bookmarked loads of recipe from her which I now lost the count! I had bookmarked another recipe for cappuccino cupcakes which just slipped out of my brain until Finla just mentioned it was her favorite cappuccino cupcakes. I should be making that one too sometime soon.


When it comes to the cake, it was just the taste I was looking for; Chocolate, coffee and the buttery base. I just made half the batch and skipped ganache. The cakes were already loaded with chocolate chips and I thought it would leave me with chocolate overdose if I top it up with ganache. But I love ganache and it itched me to add but I skipped it just to cut down a bit of chocolate.

Espresso Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Makes 6-7
Recipe Adapted from Deeba

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 pinch salt
¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup Caster sugar
1 tbsp Coffee powder or ½ a Tbsp Espresso powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ of a large egg
½ cup whole milk, room temperature
1/3cup - ½ (around 100g) cup dark chocolate chips


Preparation:

1.Preheat oven to 180C. Line 6-7 mold muffin tray.

2. With a fork or a balloon whisk , whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Reserve.

3. Mix coffee powder into the milk and stir until dissolved.

4. Beat the butter, sugar, vanilla essence and egg in a mixing bowl.

5. Add the flour mix and milk alternately to the butter mix in three batches and mix well using a wooden spoon until well mixed.

6. Fold in the chocolate chips and spoon into muffin cases upto 2/3 full.

7. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until springy to the touch. Cool in the tin for about a minute before putting the muffins onto a wire rack to cool completely. Top with ganache if desired. You can see Deeba's chocolate Espresso Ganache in the page.

N.B: I have halved the original recipe. Double the recipe if you want 12-14 cupcakes.

35 comments:

Hari Chandana P said...

Wow.. looks so tempting and perfect.. amazing presentation dear.. thanks for sharing :)
Indian Cuisine

Priya Sreeram said...

omg- the pics are a killer- too good !

Mélange said...

Even I am having the habit of steaming hot coffee..during exams,I totally agree.That flavour I think easily converts to kind of addiction !The cutie cupcakes are so tempting Shabs..

S said...

Oh.... this is something i had in my list...my Deeba is also one of my favourite blogger.....such a coincident day ....I baked her oats chocolate chip bars....:)

Anways your cupscakes looks perfect...!!!

KrithisKitchen said...

I am a self-proclaimed coffee taste lover in baked goodies... love these cupcakes.. I too have baked biscotti from deeba's blog!

http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com

LoveCupcakes said...

A cupcakes that no need a frosting! The chocolates work it all. Thanks for sharing your tasty cupcake ideas.

Unknown said...

Absolutely delicious and cute, great presentation Shab :)

Chitra said...

cupcakes looks gr8

cook from doha said...

tempting cup cakes......

Rinku Naveen said...

Shabs...Perfect looking cup cakes. Coffee my fav flavor. I have been bookmarking your recipes too.. :)

Miriam Korula said...

they look great shabs....wat a way to kick start ur diet week....;)

Nitha said...

The looks lovely... Not a big fan of expresso, but would love to try this without that..

chef and her kitchen said...

Thats a nice presentation and those cupcakes look superb

Unknown said...

Coffee in cupcakes sounds divine!!

Unknown said...

Choco chip cup cakes....they look yummy and beautiful presentation as well

Priya Suresh said...

Damn addictive and gorgeous cupcakes..

Plateful said...

I can relate to your love for coffee and anything with coffee flavor :) Lovely cupcakes and thanks for introducing us to another great food blog!

Unknown said...

Muffins have come out perfectly! I love that dome shape :)

Unknown said...

Muffins have come out perfectly! I love that dome shape :)

Finla said...

I am in love with this picture, it is like the cupp cakes and sitting snuggly in a fluffy pillow :-)

Shah cooks said...

espresso ann chocolate.. swoon!!

Shabs.. said...

Thanks to all for your lovely comments and your time:)

Love, shabs.

Reva said...

Lovely cupcakes... I love the flavours...Oh so universal:) Very beautiful presentation:)

Malar Gandhi said...

Beautiful work, awesome clicks.

Khadija El Mary said...

Chocolate and coffee, lovely flavour! They look gorgeous! Have a great day!
Cheers

Anonymous said...

Hi Shabs,

Excellent blog! I am just curious...what kinda flowers are those, they look like jasmine/motia flowers but purple.

Thanks,
Ayesha

Shabs.. said...

Aysha, Thank You. About the flowers, I was trying to think where I plucked them from. I dono what they are, I plucked it from a tree on the way to my son's school. These individual flowers looks exactly like jasmine, but they are in large conical clusters and I just plucked few from them:) I am not sure what they are called as well:)...Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Shabs, thanks for the reply. Based on your description, they are lilac flowers (most likely French Hybrid).

Ahh now I am at peace :)

Best wishes,
Ayesha

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Shabs
How are you? I like this cup cake, very nice indeed.
Have a nice week ahead

Binys Recipes said...

hey dat can tenpt anyone.....i am surely lovg it

Nisa Homey said...

I love coffee and cant do without it morning and evening...ya you guessed right...I am making these...seriously, so low butter...so this tops the list of must-try-soon list...oh!! BTW awesome clicks.

Binys Recipes said...

Hello Shabs...first time commenting here i think...but have been checking out the space for more than a year...cant stop admiring ur efforts....I have an award waiting for you in my space....

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious looking flavourful cupcakes looks wonderful

Vardhini said...

Lovely blog out here. Chocolate chip cupcakes look yummy too.

Following you :)

Vardhini
VardhinisKitchen

Roberta Galea said...

Just came across your blog, Love your photography, so crisp and clean :)

Fantastic work :) will definitely be coming back to see more :)

Check out my blog at la-roquette.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...